Chocolate and Strawberry Milkshake Smoothies
We enjoy smoothies most mornings as a way to fuel up with quality nutrition for the day. We also occasionally fast and skip any food during the morning and have one of these smoothies for a great post-workout recovery or just a satisfying nutritious lunch.
Here’s a recipe of our current favorite smoothie, which reminds us of a creamy chocolate milkshake!
- 10 oz of your favorite liquid – we recommend a combination of Pacific Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk and Harmless Harvest Coconut Water if you’re avoiding dairy. We have an excellent local source of fresh goat milk and love that in our smoothies.
- 4 scoops Dr. Mercola Pure Protein Powder, we do 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 vanilla in our smoothies. Mercola also has vegan protein powders, if you’re avoiding dairy.
- 2 tsp of Dr. Mercola Organic Greens Powder
- 2 tsp of Navitas Maca Powder
- 2 tsp of Navitas Pomegranate Powder
- 2 tsp of Navitas Chia Powder
- 2 tsp of Navitas Acai Powder
- 1 scoop of Greenbow Organic Bee Pollen
- 1 tsp of Greenbow Organic Royal Jelly
- 2 tbs of Artisana Organic Raw Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbs of Organic India Organic Psyllium Husk
- 1 Banana
- 1 handful of ice
Blend all of the ingredients for about 30 seconds so they combine well. This recipe makes 2 large glasses and you can modify the recipe accordingly for an individual serving. Feel free to experiment with your favorite smoothie ingredients. For example, we skip the chocolate scoops and go all vanilla when we have fresh berries or other fruit to include in the smoothie.
By the way, we are constantly evaluating our food sources and believe all of the recommendations above are excellent. But, we especially rave about the Harmless Harvest, Navitas, and Artisana brands. If you’re currently using another brand for an item above, do yourself a favor and try this one if you haven’t yet. We feel they are absolutely stellar and significantly better than anything else we’ve tried so far.
This particular recipe will produce a delicious and creamy chocolate milkshake tasting smoothie. It tastes so good, that we would have this any day over traditional milkshakes. Packed with super-foods & high-quality nutrition and a breeze to make, this is one of our go-to meals in our busy lifestyle.
Strawberry Milkshake Smoothie Variation
To make a delicious strawberry version of this same recipe, here are the changes:
- Skip the chocolate scoops of the protein powder and double up on vanilla scoops instead
- Skip the maca powder
- Use either 2 handfuls of frozen strawberries and no ice, or fresh strawberries and a handful of ice
The frozen strawberry approach will give you a super creamy frozen yogurt consistency, where as the fresh strawberries will give you a more liquid smoothie.
Give both recipes a try and let us know what variations you come up with that you love!